During 1771-1772, sixteen members of the First Baptist Church of Harwich, living in Barnstable, obtained consent of that church to form a church in Hyannis. The first minister was Enoch Eldridge, who served until his death in 1801.
In 1772 the group had grown to about sixty members. The society had a small meeting house in the village of Hyannis which was enlarged in 1802 with “a great porch all painted red and in which each man bought his ground and built his own square pew.”
In 1825 a new meeting house was built for $4,000 with a tower in which was hung a bell. The church was taxed and in turn, taxed the members. Five members were licensed in the 1820’s and 1830’s to preach the gospel. Church branches were formed in Chatham, Bass River, Falmouth, Mashpee and Barnstable Village. An ell was built at the front of the church in 1866 to provide space for an organ. As there was no electricity, the organ was pumped by hand. This was used until 1955 when a new Aeolian-Skinner organ was given by Arthur Dyer, in memory of his wife, Clara E. Dyer.
In 1954, Rev. A. King Boutwell was minister and the parish house was sold and moved away in order to make room for the present Christian Education wing. After an interim, Rev. Camile Bedard served as minister in 1960 until 1964 when Rev. John F. Madden was called as minister.
Rev. Norman Jimerson was called as pastor in 1971. During this time the Bi-Centennial was celebrated. Our next minister, after another interim, was the Rev. Richard Parker in 1978. Renovations turning the attic in the Christian Education wing into classrooms were accomplished in 1983. The Rev. George M. Hawthorne came to us as an assistant pastor in 1981, and became our pastor in 1984. Pastor Dr. Carl D. Heick, was our minister 1991-2012.
Pastor Jonathan Singer was welcomed as our pastor in January 2013.May we each continue to help our pastor make this church friendly, outreaching and caring toward its neighbors both near and far.